F1 GPs

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Re: F1 GPs

Post  cosmic scouser 192 on Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:03 am

i reckon they should extend the season,

12 months of racing, a few three week breaks thrown in so the drivers get decent holidays/family time, but no problems with dropping GPs
cosmic scouser 192
Hardcore
Hardcore

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  INTERNET MALE on Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:55 am

Bernie such a clown. By the time his finished dropping good tracks for more lucrative new ones, and messing round like he is in the UK with Donington, completely unready for a grand prix infrastructure wise, taking over from Silverstone there'll be no good or storied circuits left

THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
INTERNET MALE
Mod
Mod

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Wendy on Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:45 am

itskristina wrote:i can't believe they canceled Montreal for next year. that's bad news...

Oh my god, I didn't know that - it's my favourite track!
Wendy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Wendy on Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:46 am

D'Oh, I read Monaco for some reason, Montreal is not my favourite track! Embarassed
Wendy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  David on Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:30 am

It’s a real shame to lose Montreal. It was one of the better tracks on the calendar. I think the FIA and Bernie have just decided not to try and penetrate the US market anymore and instead focus on the East.

I would have much preferred to see Malaysia go. I’m willing to give Valencia another season but if there’s another dud race it should be scraped and Numerberg brought back full time.
David

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cosmic scouser 192 on Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:38 am

David wrote:It’s a real shame to lose Montreal. It was one of the better tracks on the calendar. I think the FIA and Bernie have just decided not to try and penetrate the US market anymore and instead focus on the East.

I would have much preferred to see Malaysia go. I’m willing to give Valencia another season but if there’s another dud race it should be scraped and Numerberg brought back full time.

The Nurburgring should have taken over from Hockenheim as the German GP, but I still don't think the European GP should stay in one place constantly
cosmic scouser 192
Hardcore
Hardcore

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  itskristina on Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:43 pm

David wrote:It’s a real shame to lose Montreal. It was one of the better tracks on the calendar. I think the FIA and Bernie have just decided not to try and penetrate the US market anymore and instead focus on the East.

Thing is, the Montreal race does a great job of drawing in americans. The weakness of the Canadian dollar against the US dollar, and Montreal's unique culture make it a good draw for foreigners, especially Americans. It may be counterintuitive, but I think it does better with Americans than the races in the US for those reasons. Besides, its hard to compete with Nascar culture down in areas where its so huge.

They tried to drop the race a few years ago due to some concerns over Canada's ban on tobacco company sponsorship (it used to be sponsored by one of the big canadian tabacco companies) but there was enough panic to get new sponsors together. This could just be a way of holding the race organizers over the barrel for more money, since the race gives a huge boost to Montreal's economy and the government is likely to intervene in any way they can to keep the race (even if it means upgrading the track or whatever).
itskristina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  INTERNET MALE on Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:12 pm

[quote="itskristina"]
David wrote:They tried to drop the race a few years ago due to some concerns over Canada's ban on tobacco company sponsorship (it used to be sponsored by one of the big canadian tabacco companies) but there was enough panic to get new sponsors together. This could just be a way of holding the race organizers over the barrel for more money, since the race gives a huge boost to Montreal's economy and the government is likely to intervene in any way they can to keep the race (even if it means upgrading the track or whatever).

almost certainly, but he probably will follow through on the threat unless the circuit and/or government meet some pretty crazy demands (financially more than track/facilities, it's fairly modern and well-run as it is isn't it?)

INTERNET MALE
Mod
Mod

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rocky on Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:24 pm

cosmic scouser 192 wrote:
David wrote:...Numerberg

The Nurburgring...

You had to italic his mistake didn't you? Very Happy

Btw; it's Nürburgring or Nuerburgring asshat.
Rocky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cosmic scouser 192 on Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:42 pm

Saloth (Top friend) wrote:
David wrote:...Numerberg

The Nurburgring...

You had to italic his mistake didn't you? Very Happy

Btw; it's Nürburgring or Nuerburgring asshat.

I haven't got an umulat (sp) on my keyboard so just went with what came up in Google.

It looks like Numberwang ffs
cosmic scouser 192
Hardcore
Hardcore

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  itskristina on Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:07 pm

[quote="INTERNET MALE"]
itskristina wrote:
David wrote:They tried to drop the race a few years ago due to some concerns over Canada's ban on tobacco company sponsorship (it used to be sponsored by one of the big canadian tabacco companies) but there was enough panic to get new sponsors together. This could just be a way of holding the race organizers over the barrel for more money, since the race gives a huge boost to Montreal's economy and the government is likely to intervene in any way they can to keep the race (even if it means upgrading the track or whatever).

almost certainly, but he probably will follow through on the threat unless the circuit and/or government meet some pretty crazy demands (financially more than track/facilities, it's fairly modern and well-run as it is isn't it?)

actually, they've probably got some legitimate complaints as far as that goes. I don't know about the condition specifically, but most of the infrastructure (including the track facilities) was built during the 60s and 70s when the city went on a giant spending spree (see Montreal Olympics 1976). the city and the province are notorious for letting infrastructure improvements slide until they become absolutely necessary, and even then there's usually some big highway overpass crumbling incident to give the government the kick they need to do the repairs. I wouldn't be surprised if the track and its facilities has fallen victim to the chronic neglect and the F1 bosses have some legitimate complaints. Its in the government's interest to come through on this though because the benefit to the city's economy and reputation is huge.

and nevermind all those americans they were supposedly trying to reach, Canada has its own fair share of F1 fans, especially since we don't play host to any competing nascar races. and we've got just as much money (or arguably more at this point) than the sought-after americans do. The event has consistently broken its previous' years' attendance records over the last few years. the whole decision makes no sense to me (well it kind of does if it means they're going after middle-eastern money instead but i think it sucks)
itskristina

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chinny on Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:25 am

its being replaced by the Abu Dahbi/Dubai grand prix, and lets face it, they have mountains of money.
chinny
Semi-hardcore
Semi-hardcore

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Wilkesandliberty on Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:18 am

Now that was BRILLIANT....Well done Lewis Hamilton.

Wilkesandliberty
Mod
Mod

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Punk Girl on Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:31 am

Wilkesandliberty wrote:Now that was BRILLIANT....Well done Lewis Hamilton.

Never a truer word said! Cool

Who says F1 is dull?! Laughing

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://www.gashed.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mash on Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:39 am

Very Happy:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

THAT is why I watch F1, the best piece of sporting theatre I've ever witnessed. Unbelievable!

Those final scenes were madness - Vettel passing Hamilton, Massa's family celebrating then the Glock-induced heartbreak, team Hamilton dancing in the rain, people ignoring Button's flaming Honda (including JB!) to see Hamilton too shaky to put his steering wheel back on... Massa's tears on the podium in the darkness and rain, while just below him Hamilton was celebrating in the winners enclosure was pure theatre.

Kudos to Massa, they guy has heart. Tragic for him to win his home GP in such disappointment. Glock's slowdown was suspicious, but then so were all the penalties Hamilton received throughout the season. I'm still buzzing, heart-in-mouth stuff - the timings of the rain were crazy dramatic delayed start to the race and insane stuff in the closing laps. What a finale.

F1. Bloody hell. Ah cannae believe it. Bloody hell, etc Cool
mash

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/mattcherng

Back to top Go down

Post  Wilkesandliberty on Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:07 pm

I think the geographical rain pourdown played it to Hamilton.

As they said with 10 laps left.

Wilkesandliberty
Mod
Mod

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Obscure Thing on Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:09 pm

i've never been the biggest F1 fan but fuck me, that was amazing!!! what a finish!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Obscure Thing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  INTERNET MALE on Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:09 pm

we need a .gif of the ferrari reaction and dawning realisation and we need it NOW

INTERNET MALE
Mod
Mod

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Obscure Thing on Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:11 pm

INTERNET MALE wrote:we need a .gif of the ferrari reaction and dawning realisation and we need it NOW

haha, agreed!!! the look on their faces was priceless Very Happy
Obscure Thing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sprucy on Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:12 pm

happy happy happy
that was just pure excellence Very Happy

Mod

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  INTERNET MALE on Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:32 pm

INTERNET MALE
Mod
Mod

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cosmic scouser 192 on Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:05 am

mash wrote:Very Happy:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

THAT is why I watch F1, the best piece of sporting theatre I've ever witnessed. Unbelievable!

Those final scenes were madness - Vettel passing Hamilton, Massa's family celebrating then the Glock-induced heartbreak, team Hamilton dancing in the rain, people ignoring Button's flaming Honda (including JB!) to see Hamilton too shaky to put his steering wheel back on... Massa's tears on the podium in the darkness and rain, while just below him Hamilton was celebrating in the winners enclosure was pure theatre.

Kudos to Massa, they guy has heart. Tragic for him to win his home GP in such disappointment. Glock's slowdown was suspicious, but then so were all the penalties Hamilton received throughout the season. I'm still buzzing, heart-in-mouth stuff - the timings of the rain were crazy dramatic delayed start to the race and insane stuff in the closing laps. What a finale.

F1. Bloody hell. Ah cannae believe it. Bloody hell, etc Cool

for some reason the Beeb are claiming that Glock slowed down because of his tyre choice, odd since Vettel was on the same tyres going faster, and Glock's fucking light went out.

was watching in the pub with a bloke who turned out to be one of the sports presenters for bbc radio merseyside, so might be getting a phone call on weds night to go on the air
cosmic scouser 192
Hardcore
Hardcore

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Wendy on Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:22 am

INTERNET MALE wrote:

smug smug smug smug smug

The reaction didn't get shown for this long on the telly...it was funny seeing the Ferrari and McLaren camp both dancing at the same time!

Haha... that's hilarious!! Very Happy
Wendy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  INTERNET MALE on Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:50 am

for some reason the Beeb are claiming that Glock slowed down because of his tyre choice, odd since Vettel was on the same tyres going faster, and Glock's fucking light went out.

was watching in the pub with a bloke who turned out to be one of the sports presenters for bbc radio merseyside, so might be getting a phone call on weds night to go on the air

absolutely not true - the two Toyotas were the only cars on the track NOT on wet tyres, Vettel did a quick pit same as everyone else, and was just that quick in the latter stages. Deserves tons of praise for the way he drove, but no driver could possibly go that fast in those conditions on the hard tyres the Toyotas were using. Toyota gambled that the rain would be another 30-second thing, and fair play - they'd have been pushing for the podium if it had played out that way... but otherwise, losing ~20secs per lap is totally normal.

http://blogf1.co.uk/2008/11/02/brazil-2008-pitstop-tyre-strategies/

INTERNET MALE
Mod
Mod

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cosmic scouser 192 on Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:04 am

fair enough, didn't think vettel had stopped.

it was still more than just the tyres that caused Glock to slow down though.
cosmic scouser 192
Hardcore
Hardcore

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum